Thursday, April 5, 2007

WHAT IF

I sit here tonight thinking hard about my Aunt Wanda ( mom's sister) and I know why. It's was the topic of prayer/ soul winning led by Pastor Jenkins at Tuesday nights spring confer-ence. I'm not sure what denominational church she was with but for some reason I have this feeling that she was trying to lead me in the direction of the Lord. She was a Sunday School Teacher and very active in her home church in Sikeston Missouri. I spent every summer and every possible school break in this same town w/ my grandparents starting when I was very young. I remember attending her class on one or two occasions but only at the urging of my mom. I guess you could say I'm feeling guilty for not giving her a chance. I think this hit me when Pastor Jenkins spoke about something along the lines of don't let your children see you in prayer as something strange. This was a real nice women and I guess to me she was a little odd because nobody else within the family circle attended church, prayed, or used manners quite like she did and I can't help but wonder if that Bible I got on maybe my 5th birthday was really from her. I recall one summer , could of been my birthday that she came to get me to spend some time with just me. I know I didn't want to go but grandma made me and I did spend a couple hours with my Aunt. I had a nice time but she must of sensed I felt out of place and uncomfortable because I don't recall any other outings with her. I can't help but to think of her everytime I pass that same church remembering how upset our loved ones were at her passing. I might just go visit her resting place and thank her for accepting me and that after all these years I do have the Lord in my life although I think she already knows.

6 comments:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

What nice memory Kim! Funny the things that have meaning now that we are older. I sure missed having you at Bible Study today. I was so sorry to hear about Ed's accident. Hope all is well with him.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you have accepted Jesus as your Savior and that you and your family are a part of Grace Baptist Church's family. Your aunt Wanda probably knows and is proud of you for making your decision even though you weren't ready when she tried to show you.

Anonymous said...

That is such a nice thing to remember Kim. It sounds to me like you'll see Aunt Wanda again someday.

Kris's Korner said...

That is so sweet. I'm holding back the tears. I'm glad you had a Christian Aunt that cared about you.

Trish said...

What a special story! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Mrs Karen G said...

I love how things people say remind you of something like this, you can tell she loved you enough to take you to church and her classes, I love the stories you share and when your kids see this they will know some of your good childhood, Love ya, (((((HUGS)))))