Saturday, March 29, 2008

A refugees story.

Hi, everyone. As you will see below, this was shared w/ me, It really touched my heart and therefore I wanted to share it w/ all of you. Take Care. Love, Kim.

Sis,
I receive many e-mails from our Command Chaplain. I think of you often especially after receiving the emails. The email below is true. He really was a refugee who escaped from a European Country. He has an impressive story. Well, I hope all is well with you. Be good. Bill

I grew up in the 60s with practical parents. A mother, God love her, who washed plastic bags and reused them. She was the original 'recycle queen', before they had a name for it... A father who was happier getting old shoes fixed than buying new ones. Their marriage was good, their goal was to raise decent children, - nothing more. Their best friends lived barely a wave away. Most of their relatives have died already either in the war or during the failed revolution. We never ate in a restaurant. We could afford meat once a month, but we thought that was normal. It was the time for fixing things. A curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress , things we keep... It was a way of life, and as I got older, sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, eating left-overs, hand-down clothes... I wanted -- just once,-- to be wasteful! Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there would always be more. But then a colleague of mine disappeared, and my girlfriend got arrested, beaten, and raped. I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more. All the time we have is now; we cannot dwell on the past, and we have no guarantees for the future. So, I left that God-forsaken country to become homeless, stateless, jobless, - a refugee. I lost my family, friends, culture, language, - everything, but I was free! Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away...never to return. So... while we have it... it's best we love it.... and care for it... and fix it when it's broken...... and heal it when it's sick. Live each day as it were the last! This is true, for marriage... and old cars.... and children with bad report cards..... and dogs with bad hips.... and aging parents..... and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it.Serving you as I serve Him,Ch. A.P.S.People will forget what you said; they will forget what you did,but they will always remember how you made them feel.

2 comments:

Mrs Karen G said...

This was nice of you to share, thank you.
HUGS

Anonymous said...

This is good Kim. Thanks for sharing it.